Joined: 08 Aug 2002
Location: In your personal space
|Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:22 pm Post subject: User Guide
|Generally, all we ask is that people play nicely and not take advantage of the lax attitudes around here, so think of these more as guidelines for how to make this work for everyone.
Red, full pips denotes an author of a uH series. These are the crazy people who make up the stuff you read here at uH. Pity these people.
Yellow, full pips denotes a uH forum administrator. These are the dorks who keep trying to break the uH forums. Shun these people.
Roses denotes a moderator. This is someone who been entrusted with the mighty hammer of Bonk. Fear these people.
Specialty full pips mean one of two things, either this person is a "Friend of uH," ie someone who may not be a uH member, but is still crazy enough to associate with us, or their someone who's made enough of a pain of themselves that they've gotten their own special rank. Poke these people with sticks.
Blue pips denote a reader. The more posts a reader makes, the more pips they get and the higher up the Jelvan military ranks they go. You're probably one of these people.
- Follow the Moderator's Lead - Different moderators have different feelings about what's allowed in their forums. One moderator may be perfectly all right with profanity, another may prefer to keep their forums G-rated. Please try to respect that. If you don't know if something is acceptable, assume it's not.
Some of the authors also post off-topic messages and you might be wondering if it's acceptable for regular users to start similar threads. Your best bet is to lurk in a forum for a while and see what sort of discussion is the norm. Try reading some older threads. If you have any questions, send a private message to the moderator and ask, don't just assume your post will be acceptable.
Remember that these people put a lot of effort into their respective works, and their forums are an extension of that.
- Stay on topic - Please make sure your post is appropriate to the topic of the particular forum you're posting in. Here's a rundown of the forums and their topics:
- UnitedHeroes General Discussion - This forum is for general questions and answers about uH.net. If you have a question or comment regarding uH, the uH stories, friends of uH, or a general question for the uH authors, feel free to post it here and the authors will reply. Remember, of course, that this is the general forum. If you have a question about a particular author or series, it would be more appropriate in that forum. This is also a good place to make a new user post; if you're new and want to introduce yourself, feel free to do so here.
- Random Chatter - This forum is for general discussion not related to uH.net. Anything on your mind? Feel free to chat about it here. Shameless self promotion is also allowed here. poker (why we haven't even dated yet!) cascaders will be thrashed soundly.
- The Files of Hydrogen Guy - Want to speak your mind about The Files? Want to find out the best place to get a cannoli in Maple Ridge? Just want to tell JIM he sucks? This is the place to do it.
- The Grayhound Chronicles - Want to ask a question about the Doggie Duo? Wondering what the best way to subjugate your city is? Want to know about dining in Boise? Well, TA doesn't know a whole lot about Boise, but he can answer the other questions.
- The Secret Journals of Phineas J. Magnetron - Want to know how to make a vegetable musket? Well, ok, DL probably doesn't want people discussing how to make weapons in his forum. But if you want to know anything about the Hogalums, or you just want to pledge allegiance to the cerebral society, this is the place to do it.
- Christopher Ford, Amateur Paranormalist - Wondering how to get blood stains out of a lace bodice? Want to know how Zvolen walked around in the daylight? On the edge of your seat to find out what happens next? Well, yeah, the last one's a stretch. But any discussion about Christopher Ford belongs in this forum.
- Galactic Customs - Wondering how Jelvans eat? Want to know the street value of a cubic freng of zerflatz? Want to speculate on when Carla and Roger are going to get it on? Ok, that last one will seriously gross people out, but you're welcome to bring up it and any other GC related topic here.
Friends of UH
- Japanimation Fist - Want to know how Karate Kit keeps her hair from getting flattened by that mask? Want to sympathize with Abe? Want to post your recipe for brains flambe? Bill will be happy to answer your JFist/Zombilly/Kittenstein questions here.
- Promote Yourself in Moderation - Avatars with your URL in them, signatures that promote your series, an occassional link to a relevant work or fan-piece on your site, those things are perfectly ok. We're pretty easy-going about promoting other works. In fact, uH is based on promoting other content producers. And, if you make friends with an author, he or she may even be willing to pimp your work. But, if 90% of your posts are off-topic messages about how good your series is, you're going to start bugging people. Please keep the self-promotion at a reasonable level. Regular offenders of this rule will be treated as spammers and banned.
- Don't Flame Other Users - Nobody likes to be mistreated by an anonymous dork on the internet. And people leave boards where they're regularly abused. We don't like people leaving our boards. If you abuse people, we're going to abuse you.
- Whining Sucks - The inverse of flaming is whining. Nobody likes a complainer. But, if you have a problem with something going on here at uH, we want to make an effort to set it right. Please don't post your complaints in the forums. Contact the moderator of the forum with your problem. If you still get no resolution, contact one of the administrators.
Note: If you have a technical problem with the boards, please contact one of the administrators (Steve or Technoatheist). Do not post technical questions in the series forums or ask the moderators for technical help!
- Using the Board as a Chatroom - There are no limits to the number of posts you can make daily. In fact, we encourage rambling discussions because most of us have the attention spans of fleas. All we ask is that, if your conversation turns personal, take private.
- Rules Subject to Change - We reserve the right to ban anyone at any time. We also reserve the right to grant special ranks and privileges to anyone we choose. We also also reserve the right to wear live poultry as hats and sing Polish war songs while drinking Jagermeister and wearing mismatched socks.