Forums for the UnitedHeroes.net Family of Stories and Other Cool Sites

It's been fun, but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    unitedHeroes.net Forum Index -> Avalon & Company
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nshumate
UH Author
UH Author

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: It's been fun, but... Reply with quote

I'm sorry to say that I won't be continuing Avalon & Company.

My life has gotten progressively busier (four children and holding, thank you very much), and despite my best efforts, I can't fit all of the projects I want to do into the hours I have each day, even when I cut sleep back to a bare minimum. And when looking for activities to cut, I have to put at the top of the list those which don't have much of an audience or a return. And Avalon & Company tops that list, especially when compared to the effort required each week to maintain it. (By comparison, I could have poured the typing behind each week's installment into scriptwriting and have had two full drafts of a screenplay -- something with a lot more potential economic viability.)

Maybe someday, when my dreams come true and I write for a living, I'll be able to resurrect the series, start where I left off, and promote it to the point that it becomes a self-sustaining enterprise. But even then, maybe not; from what I can tell, there really isn't a large readership out there for serialized fiction. (Which really sucks, because I've got another unrelated series I'd love to do as a serial. But if there's no one to read it, I simply can't justify the effort.)

If you're one of the thirty or so people reading each new installment, I thank you for your support, and I apologize for leaving you hanging. I considered finishing out the current storyline, "Radiant," but it's a very long story, and my enthusiasm has been steadily drained by the lack of response. It just isn't fun anymore.

In the next couple of weeks, I will be collecting the last finished storyline, "Brother's Keeper," into a free ebook for those of you looking for really cheap Christmas gifts. And I'll be leaving the website up, hopefully, in perpetuity.
Hetta
Mod
Mod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: It's been fun, but... Reply with quote

nshumate wrote:
I'm sorry to say that I won't be continuing Avalon & Company.

Ow. That's bad.

Thank you for the stories so far, here's a big hope that the economy goes up, viruses and trojans go way down, people start to think the web is nice again and feel that they have time to goof off online again, which all of it will mean larger audiences and a readership that isn't afraid to leave comments on a random website.

Good luck Nathan, thanks for all the suspense, and have a lot of fun with your family!
Maracus
Impressive
Impressive

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks from myself as well. I joined the readership of UH.net, well after Magnetron began it's association here, so you were the first NEW author to begin writing for UH.net, and it gave me high hopes of a growing, thriving, empire of evil authors....mwuh-ha-ha...er, no, but it did make me think, hey, this UH.net could be huge, and that would be great, since I've yet to find a group of serial story writers that turn out the sort of quality I'm willing to read, in a consitent, and ongoing manner. Either the quality has been lacking, or it was a series of 5 that someone posted on a free website 10 years ago and never took down. So congrats on the writing you produced, and if you ever decide to add a random chapter, I'll be waiting here.

yours,

maracus
Lee in Limbo
Mulch
Mulch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Coming in late... *sigh* Reply with quote

I've been largely offline due to financial difficulties of my own, so I regret that I am so many months behind in your announcement to discontinue. I know exactly what you mean about struggling to find an audience for your work. It's hard enough to create fiction with an audience waiting for your next installment, but quite frankly, with a crowd you could give printed books away to for free with negligible loss, supporting and pimping a website in your spare time does seem an awful waste.

Here's to hoping you find a more congenial environment for sharing your work, in a network that follows and suppports you actively without having to scour the net to find you.

And thanks for the stories.
TechnoAtheist
Überdork
Überdork

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry about that. I've only been able to get unitedHeroes.net as the #1 or #2 link for "Free Original Stories" (a pretty darn popular search term for folks) , a free forum, and the continual offer to host the content on my site with no alteration, ad-free.

Me? Bitter? Never.

Unfortunately, the sad fact is that folks don't read on-line, certainly nothing that requires more than one screen's worth of text. Still, i'll happily fool myself into thinking that someone out there actually might be interested in doing more than looking at poorly drawn college furries playing video games, so I'll continue to pimp mightily.
steveo
Überdork
Überdork

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Coming in late... *sigh* Reply with quote

Lee in Limbo wrote:
Here's to hoping you find a more congenial environment for sharing your work, in a network that follows and suppports you actively without having to scour the net to find you.

Gee, Lee, that's mighty white of you. I'm sure Nate appreciates you using the free forum he got from uH to diss uH.

Oh, and Nate, on behalf of uH, let me be the first to apologize for not bending over backwards to chase Lee around the net and remind him of your existence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    unitedHeroes.net Forum Index -> Avalon & Company All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: